GEMA-Hoyas.org is an online service consisting of the electronic resources to support GEMA’s Mission. Many of the services offered by GEMA-Hoyas.org are available only to registered members of GEMA. The site’s unsecured home page and some additional pages are available to the general public.
Through GEMA, members participate in an established network, keep up with friends, communicate with each other about career and school experiences, and become part of a family that will help them for the rest of their lives.
GEMA-Hoyas.org supports the mission of GEMA by helping members associated with the media and entertainment industries to connect with one another. To remain eligible as users, members must use their GEMA-Hoyas.org accounts in ways that are in support of and consistent with the objectives of the Georgetown Entertainment and Media Alliance.
It is the policy of the GEMA to maintain an environment that promotes ethical and responsible conduct in all online network activities. It shall be a violation of this policy for any user to engage in any activity that does not conform to the established purpose and general rules and policies of GEMA-Hoyas.org.
By using GEMA-Hoyas.org resources, users assume personal responsibility for appropriate use of those resources and agree to comply with this and other applicable GEMA and Georgetown University policies, as well as city, state, and federal laws and regulations.
This Acceptable Use Policy defines penalties leading up to and including loss of system access. In addition, some activities may lead to risk of legal liability, both civil and criminal. Users of GEMA-Hoyas.org are strongly encouraged to review and understand the contents of this policy.
Member User Rights and Responsibilities
As an alumnus, student or parent associated with Georgetown University and a member of GEMA, you have certain rights and responsibilities regarding the service’s use. These responsibilities include:
• Respecting the rights and privacy of other users
• Respecting the legal protection provided by copyright and licensing of data and programs
• Respecting the intended use of resources
• Respecting the intended use of systems for electronic exchange, such as email
• Respecting the security and integrity of the network
• Adhering to all general university policies and procedures
The GEMA expects community members to exhibit the same level of respect for others in this forum as in any other Georgetown University, alumni association or GEMA venue (such as at a reunion event).
Electronic Privacy • GEMA has the right to monitor and log any and all activities occurring on GEMA-Hoyas.org. While GEMA is not responsible for the content of bulletin boards, it does reserve the right to reorganize or delete any postings or message boards and may at its discretion reassign a topic’s ownership.
• GEMA will take reasonable and necessary steps to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information collected on GEMA-Hoyas.org and under its control. While every effort is made to ensure the integrity and security of GEMA-Hoyas.org, we are unable to guarantee that such security measures will prevent third-party hackers from illegally obtaining this information.
• Users will be assigned account IDs and passwords for access to GEMA-Hoyas.org. Accounts are provided for the specific individual to whom they have been assigned. If it is discovered that Users are sharing their account Ids and/or passwords, their ability to use GEMA-Hoyas.org can be revoked without notice.
All use of GEMA-Hoyas.org must be consistent with the mission and purpose of GEMA. The following are examples of acceptable use of the GEMA-Hoyas.org system:
• Contact with other users of GEMA-Hoyas.org in connection with the purpose and mission of the GEMA
• Any other administrative communications or activities that support and further GEMA goals and objectives
• Announcements of events that are in line with the purpose and mission of GEMA-Hoyas.org and the Georgetown Entertainment and Media Alliance
• Use of GEMA-Hoyas.org for commercial or for-profit purposes
• Use of GEMA-Hoyas.org for activities considered illegal or fraudulent
• Use of GEMA-Hoyas.org to inaccurately imply endorsement, approval, or sponsorship by Georgetown University (or any individual officer of the university)
• Use of GEMA-Hoyas.org to send communications that can be confused with official communications of the alumni association or Georgetown University or its officers
• Use of GEMA-Hoyas.org to send communications that can be confused with official communications of GEMA or its officers
• Use of GEMA-Hoyas.org for mass mailings or spamming
• Use of GEMA-Hoyas.org for hate mail, harassment, discriminatory remarks, or other anti-social activities
• Illegal dissemination or use of copyrighted material on GEMA-Hoyas.org
• Modifying or “hacking” the files, data, or passwords belonging to other users; or the misrepresentation of other users
• Alteration of any computing or network components of GEMA-Hoyas.org without authorization or beyond one’s level of authorization
• Use of GEMA-Hoyas.org in any way deemed inconsistent with the purpose and mission of the GEMA
Improper use of GEMA-Hoyas.org may subject a user to personal civil and/or criminal liability.
The GEMA will review activity that is alleged not to be in accordance with the acceptable use policy for GEMA-Hoyas.org. The GEMA could deny further access to the secure portion of its website to those who engage in practices judged to be in violation of the acceptable use policy. In addition, GEMA may deny access to the secure portion of GEMA-Hoyas.org to any individual at any time. Where violations of this policy may be unlawful, the matter may be referred for appropriate legal action.
Posting Guidelines, Content and Maintenance, Minimum Standards
GEMA does not pre-screen the content of users posting open jobs or other postings by users. However, GEMA reserves the right to remove any posting by a user that is deemed to violate the purpose and mission of GEMA and GEMA-Hoyas.org or otherwise should be removed in the sole discretion of GEMA.
Individuals with access to GEMA-Hoyas.org are responsible for the appropriate use of the site and by their use agree to comply with all applicable Georgetown University and GEMA policies and regulations, and with all applicable city, state, and federal laws and regulations, as well as with the acceptable use policies of affiliated networks and systems.